OPEN CALL: FRESH START
New Performance Turku Biennale
Application period 24.5.-12.6.2022
New Performance Turku Biennale’s FRESH START project offers possibilities for artistic work and international connections for performance artists in Finland. FRESH START is aimed for artists that have been active in the field of performance art and Live Art less than 10 years. The goal is to develop artistic processes, introduce new and upcoming performance artists and support artistic work and connections in the current situation where starting an artistic career and building connections has been challenging or even impossible for the last couple of years.
Four solo artists will be selected via open call. Each of them will work with an artistic process during the year 2022 and perform at the New Performance Turku Biennale in 2023.
The FRESH START programme includes:
– independent work and preparation period
– remotely happening mentoring and sparring sessions
– working visits in Turku, selecting performance site for the performance at the New Performance Biennale 2023 and collaborating with the site/venue
FRESH START offers participants mentoring processes with high profile curators and artists from Finland and abroad. Mentors will be carefully and individually selected from New Performance Turku’s broad network, based on the artists’ wishes and needs. The working process spreads out through September, October, and November 2022 as part-time.
The fee paid for the programme and performing at the biennale is 2800 € in total. In addition, travel and accommodation costs will be covered for meetings and short visits in Turku. Material budget for the making of the performance will be negotiated.
New Performance Turku has piloted the FRESH programme for emerging performance artists since 2018. Now the FRESH concept extends also supporting artists’ internationalization and mentoring processes.
You are welcomed to apply, if:
– you’re Live Art or performance artist or an artist making a shift towards performance art
– you’ve worked in the field of performance art for less than 10 years
– you want and you can commit in dialogical and collegial artistic working process as well as individual working process during summer and autumn 2022
– you are preparing a new performance and want to perform in the New Performance Turku Biennale programme in September 2023 (between 4.-10.9.2023)
The language of the applications is English. Apply in the programme with a performance idea, CV and portfolio. Send your performance idea, CV and portfolio in one PDF file, latest 12.6. at 23:59 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications arriving after the deadline will not be considered.
Part of the applicants will be invited to interviews happening 21.-22.6.2022 in Zoom. Invitations for the interviews will be sent on 17.6.2022. The selections will be made by the New Performance Turku Biennale curatorial and production team.
FRESH START -programme is supported by Arts Promotion Centre Finland.